Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Learning how to warm up...


Tiger Woods warms up for 45 minutes prior to playing golf and states the following: "Ideally, you should stretch until you break a sweat, so you go to the course warm. Without a doubt, it helps performance and nerves on the first tee."

When he talks about "stretching", he probably doesn't mean he bends down to touch his toes for 45 minutes. He uses an elite trainer, like the guys at Athletes Performance, who have designed the Core Performance training program for golfers (they train numerous pros from the PGA & LPGA tours, MLB & the NFL).

I typically arrive at the club about 15 minutes before I tee off, head to the locker room to change into my golf shoes, swing the Momentus weighted club about ten times, and then hit a few chips and few putts. This is probably why I always hit the ball much better on the back nine than the front nine!

Now I have begun the 12 week Golf Training program through Core Performance and use this routine before I play golf and to begin each workout.

It definitely gets me sweating a little bit before I hit the first tee and actually readies the muscles that are used in the golf swing. I still swing the Momentus and try to get a feel for the speed of the greens, but the movement prep will serve as the centerpiece of my pre-round and pre-workout routine moving forward.

The goal of movement prep is to awaken your muscles for the remainder of the day, while traditional static stretches (like touching your toes) simply relax your muscles for a short period of time. Static stretching is good for you, but should be done after you play golf or complete your workout.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool - thanks for posting the warm up routine...but do these guys always have to use hyper-flexible women to do the demonstrations ? I might hurt myself trying to copy their mobility. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so busy that I had not yet checked out the core performance site that you recommended to me on my blog, but I just did! I really think that I want to try it. I am going to send your dad my email-if you don't mind I have a few questions for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the opposite problem...my swing is nice and compact and smoother on the front than the back where it starts to get looser than lug nuts on a 1985 Yugo. Gimme some tips on how to get that sh*t squared away!

    ReplyDelete