Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 1 - Back to basics...

After two poorly played rounds this weekend, I viewed this Monday as a new beginning. In order to take my game to the next level, I need to get back in the gym and resume practicing.

I truly enjoy doing both, but finding the time is difficult. Usually by this time of the year, I've played enough that my game doesn't need as much work as it does in the beginning of the season. However, that has not been the case this year.

I have a pretty good work schedule for a golfer. I head into the office early and typically get off between 3:30 & 4:00pm. During the summer months, I could play every day of the week. Being a husband and a homeowner makes that a little bit difficult, but I try to take advantage of my schedule when I can.

Yesterday, instead of just heading to the club and playing as many holes as I could before dinner, I actually practiced! And I actually practiced the shots that can help you lower your score quickly: those from around the green. For over an hour I hit my bread-and-butter pitch and chip shots with my trusty 58* wedge. I gave myself different lies and tried to control my spin and trajectory. I also worked on some other shots that I use less frequently, like bump-and-run shots with my 4 & 6-irons and standard shots with my pitching wedge (which I usually over-complicate by using the 58* or 64* wedge!).

I love seeing the look on my playing partner or opponent's face after I put a little sauce on a pitch shot and check it up right next to the stick. However, for your average golfer seeking consistent results, using the standard bump-and-run is a much more effective and practical shot. It's nice to have the option to hit the shot you need, but I'm really going to try to focus on getting the ball on the ground as quickly as possible when it's the best option.

After my practice session, I hit the gym. I'm using the Core Performance program for golfers and I'll detail my workouts in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment